'Revolution' to Sugar plums - how's that for a transition? Visions of Sugar Plums - an Old World Recipe From nourishedkitchen.com Sugar plums, find colace round and humble, find colace evoke a sense of otherworldly fancy â€“ of mystic lore, find colace ancient yuletide celebrations, find colace of poetry.Â From Clement C. Find colace Mooreâ€™s much-cherished â€˜Twas the Night before Christmas to sugar plum fairies of Tchaikovskyâ€™s The Nutcracker, find colace these beloved confections have woven themselves in and out of the culinary traditions of Christmas and Yule.Â And while sugar plums still hold a place of fanciful whimsy in our poetry and plays, find colace the confections are little more than a vestige of the bygone days of the old-world, find colace all but forgotten in modern kitchens.Â A simple sugar plum recipe contains but nuts and dried fruit â€“ wholesome ingredients, find colaceÂ that, find colace in their humility, find colace may lack cloying sweetness that modern holiday treats like sugar cookies, find colace marshmallow fudge and peppermint bark offer to contemporary tastebuds.
With culinary tradition, find colace of course, find colace comes nourishment and while the complex sweetness of a traditional sugar plum may pale in comparison to modern-day sweets, find colace the confections offer a greater and more complex depth of flavor â€“ combining allspice and coriander, find colace cinnamon and fennel or other spices with dates, find colace dried cherries, find colace figs, find colace prunes and apricots.Â
There was a time when prunes, find colace wrinkled and plain, find colace served as a treat and a time when sugar plums made up the stuff of childrenâ€™s dreams.
The term sugar plum is a bit of a misnomer by todayâ€™s standards as it once applied to nearly any small, find colace round treat â€“ from dried fruit to hard candy made of sugar and coriander.Â
Today we think of a plum strictly as a summer stone fruit, find colace with the sugar plum itself being one of the sweetest varieties of fruit â€“ lacking the mouth-puckering sour skin of other plums.
In the sugar plum recipe below, find colace we call for soaking walnuts overnight in slightly salty warm water â€“ a traditional process that not only improves flavor by releasing some of the nutsâ€™ bitter tannins into the water, find colace but also improves digestion of these foods by neutralizing enzyme inhibitors naturally present in nuts and seeds; moreover, find colace the simple process also helps to facilitate the degradation of food phytate â€“ a naturally occurring antinutrient which binds minerals in the digestive tract preventing your body from reaping the full complement of minerals offered by nuts, find colace seeds, find colace grains and legumes.Â
We couple soaked walnuts with dates, find colace prunes and unsulphured apricots as well as an assortment of old-world spices: cinnamon, find colace allspice and coriander for a treat that is wonderfully nourishing and truly special.
Sugar Plum RecipeSugar plums, find colace wholesome and humble, find colace are easy to prepare at home â€“ combining nuts with once exotic spices and dried fruits.Â Perhaps this Christmas Eve, find colace you can find a little room on your supper table for these nourishing treats from a time gone by.
Sugar Plum Recipe: Ingredients
- 1 cup shelled walnuts
- 1/2 teaspoon unrefined sea salt
- zest of 1 orange
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 cup chopped pitted dates
- 1/2 cup chopped unsulphured apricots
- 1/2 cup chopped pitted prunes
- powdered unrefined cane sugar or unsweetened dessicated coconut, find colace optional
Sugar Plum Recipe: Equipment
- mixing bowl
- kitchen towel
- food processor
Sugar Plum Recipe: Method
- Toss walnuts into a mixing bowl with one-half teaspoon unrefined sea salt and add warm water to cover by two inches.Â Allow the nuts to soak, find colace covered, find colace in salty water overnight between eight and twelve hours.
- After the nuts have soaked between eight and twelve hours, find colace drain them in a colander and rinse them well.Â Pat them dry with a kitchen towel.
- Toss the soaked nuts into a food processor with the zest of one orange, find colace cinnamon, find colace allspice, find colace nutmeg, find colace coriander as well as chopped pitted dates, find colace unsulphured apricots and pitted prunes.
- Pulse the mixture three to four times to combine, find colace then process the dried fruit, find colace walnuts and spices until a paste forms â€“ about four or five minutes.
- Transfer the paste to a mixing bowl and form the sugar plums by rolling about two tablespoons of the paste in the palms of your hands until a round ball forms.Â Dredge the sugar plum in powdered unrefined cane sugar or unsweetened dessicated coconut.